Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Instilling positivity

A few days after my second operation I was sat by my bedside when a Medical Consultant,with whom I had previously worked, came to see the patient next to me. He glanced at me, then his head shot around and his inquisitive eyes took in my partly shaved head and my lifeless legs before he said; Dawn what are you doing here...

I cannot recall much of what was said apart from You must stay positive. 

As my journey unfolded I met adversity around street corners. I faced it. Confronted it. Trod on it. Tripped over it a few times but have always stood right back up...

Stay Positive

Last night as usual there was little on TV so Mr H and I re-watched The Help. An inspiring, moving film where a young author makes a risky decision to write a book giving the African-American maid's perspective on the white families for which they work. The film is set in Mississippi during the 1960's civil rights movement. 

Aibleen reminded me how important it is to instil positivity at the beginning of each persons journey. Something she attempted to do with little Mae Mobley; whose mummy was consumed by false friendships, by telling her: You is Kind. You is Smart. You is Important...

From The Help (2011) Book by Kathryn Stockett


Kathryn also reminded me why I started writing my blog:
Write about what disturbs you, particularly if it bothers no one else - Kathryn Stockett

No comments:

Post a Comment