Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Every day is a bonus...

In March my heart sunk into concrete when I first stepped into Oncology's revolving door as my mind screamed, walk out walk out. I hung my head and stared at the pale brown laminate floor under my feet until I reached reception...

Can I help you?

I have an appointment to see the oncologist but don't know where to go...

I don't belong here I told Mr H as we sat nursing drinks at a round orange table in the WRVS coffee shop before we went up. In the lift  I played spot the wig while my mind's chatter drew a picture of the pale, grey faced, ghost like figure I would become. 

Upstairs in outpatients I saw a lady with no hair smiling. Smiling!

Then last week exactly six months later, when I told Mr H I was going to rip my wig off in a Marks and Spencer's cafe he said please don't, the locals will scatter in fear. So I have ditched my wig because one minute I feel like I am in the Caribbean sun then the next I tug my hat back on because my head is as cold as a winters night. 

...now I hardly notice the revolving door as I chatter and giggle my way in to greet Derek (who manages the WRVS shop) as I buy my coffee. His welcome smile makes my morning...

You are looking bright are you coping with the treatment OK

Thank you... not too bad... and we chat about the importance of making the most of every day in my world every day is a best dress day I tell him so he shares his mantra with me..

Every day is a bonus...

After six doses of chemo and my first weeks worth of radiotherapy the pale ghost is no where in sight


I have now learnt through Mindfulness not to engage with the silent chatter that goes on in my mind. Now I notice it then watch it float by...

No comments:

Post a Comment