Monday, January 6, 2014

NO - sprinkle it in and watch calmness rise

If I had a pound for every time I have listened to a friend or colleague say
I don't know how I am going to fit it all in, I am drowning in work as they run their hands through their hair in despair, I would be able to fund a lot of brain tumour research!

Try saying No I would reply! Oh but I can't what would they think? How else will it get done?

Before my brain tumour I was a doer and taker on-er too. Occasionally I would pull that teeny word out of my pocket and say a polite...No as I braced myself for the onslaught of reasons why No was not on the menu. Nine times out of ten I was surprised by the response, the request was transferred to another plate...

No can be like a magic wand. A strong NO to a well behaved child is enough to stop it in its tracks. Whereas when used with a well behaved adult it is best served on a dish with dressing: 

I would love to help you but unfortunately I have so much else on at the moment I would not be able to do it justice...

The dressing I now have to use is fatigue; 
...I would love to but I have to pace myself and can at best only manage one thing in a day so sorry but no
...thank you for thinking of me but no thank you....

Getting used to adding No to my recipe of life has taken time but I now have the ingredients about right as I mix a few no's with an occasional yes and watch calmness rise!


Try flipping over Moto Moto's response to Gloria as he answers question after question...and say...I promise the answer will always be No. Unless Yes is required! (Madagascar) 


"Half of the troubles of this life can be traced to saying yes too quickly and not saying no soon enough" Josh Billings


View from our balcony on the ship! Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment