Sunday, March 24, 2013

Don't Forget To Dance

Show music teases my feet at the Hammer out.patient-and-family-weekend Julie and I look longingly at the carpet dance floor behind us.....

Dance is my reflex to music.  Each morning with a smile and roll of his eyes Mr H twirled me around our kitchen dance floor.

Ballet and tap were first… ballet school briefly considered... but boys and shopping led me off track.

Fascination with ballroom came next, a few lessons in our village dance hall...basics mastered, Mom would whisk me around in a waltz or quick step. She never complained when like a dummy, I spent most of my time on her toes.

The 1980s brought discos and I did my time ...rowing...on my bum:
Say oops up side your head say Oops upside your head, now I want all you gappers and finger snappers, you toe tappers and you love rappers….say oops upside your head

Mr H and I danced whenever we could…on the mat in the kitchen…every disco around…our home made rock and roll left us giddy... we danced until hands were on hips…bent over panting... 

Strictly Come Dancing took us to a new level. Saturday evenings after the show I insisted a lift was tried…! a passing neighbour would see me being spun around, feet just off the floor …laughing so much I nearly….too much information

As Different Dawn, I adapt dance routines. Arms around me like a seat belt, Mr H knows I only do a one way shuffle. My ‘no feet’ dancing has caught on …frantic arm moves and gyrating hips...no one notices my feet are still…

...The music lifts us off our feet...Julie and I hit the carpet holding hands......singing like popstars 
You can dance,
You can jive,
Having the time of your life,
See that girl
Watch that scene
Diggin’ the dancing queen!!

Finally I leave you today with a poem...

“You’ve gotta dance like there’s nobody watching,
Love like you’ll never be hurt,
Sing like there’s nobody listening,
And live like its heaven on earth.
(and speak from the heart to be heard)"
William W. Purkey





1 comment:

  1. That was an amazing evening Dawn- we must dance again soon. Julie.

    ReplyDelete