Thursday, May 9, 2013

Head Case - Episode One

I am having a 48hr outpatient Ambulatory (walking about) EEG (Electroencephalogram) to record any epileptic activity as my drugs are not controlling all my seizures.

First the Neuro Physiologist, measures my head; ladies size I hope; then she marks twenty five spots evenly around my scalp. She scratches the skin at each spot, it feels like a tiny emery board (for the men, that’s a cardboard nail file); certainly nothing like a session of leg waxing!

The smell of the super glue fills the air as the electrodes are secured to the spots.  I fire question after question like bullets at the lovely lady. The wires are hooked up to my recorder – some of you as 'young' as me will understand when I say it's a bit bigger than the size of a Sony  Walkman (15cm x 10cm). 

I have to record my meals, any episodes, attacks or seizures and a general summary of my activity. I have no intention of writing about the cake I eat!

I must press a red ‘event’ button attached to the recorder if I feel any symptoms.

I carry the recorder like a small handbag across my body but I won't be swapping it for one of my Radley handbags.

 I leave feeling a bit like lady Frankenstein but the words of ‘Wendelly’ my friend at our local cafĂ© make me feel better: ooohhh the wires are all different colours; they look lovely!

When Mr H came home he asked if I had hurt my neck,

No I am just getting used to the presence of the wires

The plait of wires slips down my back and gently tugs on my head to remind me they are still there. I can't feel anything else, the recorder is silent.

I nervously press the red button as though it will burn my fingers when nausea rises from its rest and my cotton wool head appears; no tears this time.

I feel anxious for the first few hours, questions buzz in my mind and I get agitated when I accidentally catch an electrode on my woolly hat; but as the hours pass, like the Buddha I become calm and contemplative

I manage to catch a few zzzzzz, the wires are long enough to be able to turn in bed and I wedge the recorder down the side of my bed lever which I use to help turn over. My sleep is light, a wash at the sink this morning was easy and reminds me how far I have come since the many weeks of washes by my hospital bed when I couldn't stand or walk .

Back to the hospital this morning for a battery change...

No comments:

Post a Comment