Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Escape to the sea

The blue sky wakes me, the sun shine makes me smile, a day for a trip if only I could drive .... memories of days at sea float into my mind...The waves lift the boat free of the sea, my stomach jumps with joy as I grasp the life buoy holding me upright. The sea holds my heart in its hands. I squeal and point when the first whhhoosshh of spray goes up. A grey head and fin breaks the surface. Fellow Caribbean travellers run around the boat to get a closer look, I stay put. Any attempt to move on the rocking boat will leave me doing breast stroke on the floor. I tell Mr H and our new friends to chase it; the grey wonders will perform their show in front of me soon enough....




The sea has been my companion throughout my BT journey. During my frequent visits to the CT and MRI scanners I close my eyes and go back to the sea in Florida. As the warm salty water washes over my toes I feel for sharp edges; I bend and dig, lifting the multi coloured wonders served up by the sea..to add to my collection. The sun pierces my skin as I hold my face up to soak in its sunflower beauty...

In my hospital bed unable to sleep, I visit Lyme Regis a small seaside town where a magical summer holiday had been spent with my friend and her parents Lottie and Albert!  Each day we woke to the sky as blue as the Caribbean sea. The sun pierced the sky from dawn to dusk and we lay on the beach from morning to late afternoon sizzling in factor 2 suntan oil....treated each day to cream buns fetched from the local cake shop; fresher than the fish from the sea...


My recovery was not as quick as expected and as dark days set in I craved an escape.  I dreamt of a cottage overlooking the sea, decorated with nautical blues and whites...long walks over cliff paths as waves hit the rocks below. Afternoon tea in the seaside garden surrounded by the sweet smell of roses as I stared at the sea...buns oozing cream fetched from the cake shop...

I was trying to escape me....

Driving licence reinstated in 2011 I book a hotel in Lyme Regis, pack my new MINI, enlist the driving skills of my niece and set off on my first adventure. Insisting I drive until tired... then Lois takes over... two giggling girls head for the sea...ipod blaring music...living my dream...
Until my licence was stolen again...


Twenty years from now you
Lyme Regis August 2011
 will be more disappointed
 by the things you didn't do 
than by the ones that you did.
So throw off the bow lines.
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Unknown

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful... the sea always seems to have a calming and magical effect on people. I love the quote at the end!

    ReplyDelete