Monday, April 8, 2013

Easy on the buses.......?

To catch my bus requires split second timing, if I leave too soon I lean against the bus stop like a drunk after a night on the booze... leave too late with no chance of breaking into a run and I wave my fist as the bus passes....

When the bus stops I rejoice at the hiss when the step is lowered, ...snarl when the driver doesn't think  ...grimace when faced with two steps on old buses...hoping one heave ho of my leg will do.

All aboard, I spy an empty seat labelled Please leave for the elderly or less abled..and plonk myself down. Relief reigns where embarrassment once hovered. In the early days of my adventures on public transport any poor soul who sat by me and spoke was bombarded with my brain tumour story... flutters of relief crossed their faces when I reached for the bell to get off....

My first outing after surgery was with a carer in tow... a lesson on how to get on and off a bus safely was needed. A little bit of shopping completed we sat at the bus stop and let two buses pass ...after an hour the same bus driver returned. Falteringly we got on.... He had seen us sitting there the first time...me in my helmet (that's another blog..), my carer in uniform... we tittered all the way home. My care plan read...can't read bus timetables needs another outing!! I loved those trips.  

Nowadays I am a seasoned bus traveller and know the timetables off by heart....I choose my seat in order of preference:
A) a front forward facing seat on either side by the window; even if I have to squeeze myself into half a seat I will.....to suprised stares
B) an aisle seat with my right leg in the aisle; even if I have to ask for a bag to be moved, sometimes my hard stares are required
C) Please No...front aisle seat with my left leg in the aisle:

Option C ..is like being on the waltzers at the fair-ground... with no carriage sides; I prepare myself for the white knuckled ride. Buttock muscles on full alert, hands gripping under the seat (no rail in front today). Every corner turned or island rounded.. my left leg grip on the floor is tested....my buttocks squeal, fist clenches. Muttering under my breath. you can do, you can do it, you can do it....the alternative...a helter skelter slide down the bus on my bum...

Near my destination I search for the bell...every bus differs...I let go of my seat...press... re-grip my seat... phew... safe again....

I wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before I move. Meerkat stares from passengers ....steps are extra slow as my left leg sleeps

Finally the step challenge rears its head again...this stop is in the road.. no kerb to reduce the height. Tentatively I drop my foot onto the ground pulling my other behind. Aerobic workout complete...now a few minutes walk to Pilates...






No comments:

Post a Comment